Friday, June 22, 2012

new clutch design

As I've now given several Grab 'n' Go diaper clutches to friends,
we've discovered that they work great with disposable diapers
and not well with cloth diapers. So I spent some time in May
designing a new diaper clutch pattern -- one that would have a front
flap closure which allows for fabric matching, plenty of internal
space for two cloth diapers + wipes and changing pad, and a
zipped wet bag pocket for bringing dirty diapers back home.
The challenge was adding all these features and maintaining a sleek shape!
My first attempt, above, came out too saggy with the zip pocket
in the front wall of the bag. The sides of the bag also needed shaping.
For the second attempt, I angled the sides to curve in
slightly toward the top. I also mirrored this shape in the flap.
Finally, I changed the zipped pocket to an inset zipper
and added a waterproof inner lining (polyurethane laminate)
which can be untucked for easy washing.
The final (third) round ended up getting an inch taller and
two inches longer. I don't have photos of it with me in Oregon,
so I'll have to post it when we get home next week!

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

jar o' buttons

My friends Hannah and Steve picked up this
jar of buttons for me at an antique shop recently.
I can't wait to dig in and sew some buttons on things!

Friday, June 15, 2012

new pattern try-out


This bag is sewn up from Keyka Lou's Small Satchel pattern.
I like the way it turned out, but I prefer how the flap covers
more of the opening in her Half-Moon Handbag.
It's possible to match the print on either bag (see how the flap fabric
blends with the pattern on the body of the bag?), which is tasty!

I'm currently on vacation with my family in beautiful Corvallis, Oregon.

We're having a great time!


Wednesday, June 6, 2012

the most rustic bag


Just before leaving on our family vacation to Oregon, I wrapped up

a few sewing projects I had been working on. This particular bag was

a new version of one I had made before, but this time I experimented with

a new technique for attaching the lining. Unfortunately, speed and

experimentation don't at all go hand in hand, and I found myself at the

one week deadline with a fully lined and pocketed strip of fabric which was,

in fact, not a bag at all. I resigned myself to finish it by folding the thing

in half and sewing the seams on the outside (yes, an audible gasp from

the audience is fully appropriate here), which also entailed breaking

every one of my last remaining sewing machine needles (fully lined and

interfaced burlap is pretty darn hardy) and reverting to upholstery thread.

I delivered the bag with the disclaimer that if my friend would like

to throw it away and await my return from vacation,

I would happily whip up another while sustaining no offense.

However, this particular friend is not shy about sporting "shabby chic"

accessories. She has embraced said bag fully without complaint.

So there you go.

This is truly the most rustic bag I've ever made.

But there can even be beauty in that.